Thursday, January 13, 2011

Furniture Makeover...

Recently, I had the privilege to re-do a furniture piece for a dear friend.  This armoire was given to her from a friend who was ready to have it taken off her hands.  After seeing the finished product, I do believe she changed her mind and wanted it back!

This is what it looked like when I got my hands on it.  I could hardly wait to get started!!  



I began by removing the shelves, then the drawer handles.

Next came sanding...I used a power sander and then smaller sand paper for the detailed areas...didn't take too long but it had to be roughed up a little. 

Then I gave it a really good wipe down to get all the loose dust off.

I wound up doing 2 coats of primer....then 2 coats of pink....and then the trim work began and took 3 coats. 

I did not use a roller, I hand brushed all of it.  The scroll detail and detail on the bottom trim was pretty tedious.  I had to pull some crafting supplies out of the closet and find a brush small enough for those areas.  I used black spray paint and reused the original drawer handles.  I think the handles turned out perfect. 




Drum roll please.................

 



Here is the finished product for my friend's nursery.  I love it.  She did too.  Baby Laney's daddy hung a clothing rack inside.  We've yet to staple the fabric up, but envision black fabric with white polka dots stapled from the top inside and tie-backs to the sides. 

    

  

Now I'm ready for my next project!!!


7 comments:

  1. wow, Kim, I'm so proud of you...maybe I can get you into quilting! Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful! I love pink and black but would have never thought of doing this..it's amazing! Thanks for sharing!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here from Better After, LOVE it! You did an awesome job and the color is fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing! I did my youngest girls room in pink/black with diamond accents...this is FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely incredible! Love the way you did the black trim. I can't imagine it looking any more beautiful, but would love to see it again once the fabric is added. Awesome job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw... I just found your blog through 'Better After'

    ReplyDelete