Monday, December 20, 2010

The most wonderful time of the year...

This past May we lost a great man, my grandfather.  We knew it was coming but it didn't really make it any easier.  This Christmas will be a little tough without him.  The first tears came when I was getting ready to mail out Christmas cards and was sorting through my mailing addresses.  I came across his name and my heart just seemed to sink a little deeper in my chest.  Lots of great memories with this man.  Most childhood stories that I share with my brother and sister consist of being out on my grandparents little acreage.  Whether we were running for our lives from small garden snakes, picking apples in the orchard, swinging from that old tire swing, stealing honeysuckle without bugging any bees, or Grandpa teaching us how to drive the go cart, oh and I can't leave out baking with Grandma.  All of these memories will forever hold a special place in my heart.

One favorite past time is Christmas Eve.  For as long as I can remember we always spent it with these grandparents, my mom's sisters and their families.  Every year we ordered Little Caesar's Pizza and had a bucket of chicken.  Kind of an odd menu, yes I know. Then everyone threw in a side dish or dessert.  The past 2 years Greg and I were fortunate enough to host this bunch in our home. 

This year with Grandpa being gone, my mom and her sister's decided not to do our routine get together.  So instead, my mom and dad hosted my family of 4, my brother & fam, and my sister & fam.  We kept the pizza and chicken tradition alive, and I have a feeling we always will!  We all had a great time just kicking back and enjoying each other.  Our kids ages are 5,4,3, soon to be 2, 15 months, and the latest arrival is due in January.  Only one boy, poor thing!
We are fortunate enough to all live in the same city.  Of course we don't really see each other as often as we'd like.  Life has us all thrown in different directions.  It just makes the times we actually get together that much sweeter.  We are so blessed.  So blessed to have each other.  So blessed to have beautiful, healthy, perfect children.  So blessed to have jobs we are all secure in and for the most part really enjoy.  So blessed that our mom and dad love us and are so involved with our kids.  I could keep going but I'll spare ya. 

This is what Christmas is all about.  Time together, laughter, hugs, tears of joy, sharing old memories and making new ones. 











The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree:  the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.  ~Burton Hillis

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't have said it better myself, dear sis.

    ReplyDelete